Many public water treatment facilities add a small amount of chlorine to water to kill bacteria, much like people would do with a swimming pool. Sometimes though, too much chlorine can be added and it smells like pool water is coming out of your faucet. The smell is most easily detected when showering or bathing. Very low levels of chlorine are safe for consumption, but higher levels can cause intestinal distress and other health issues. If your water has an unusually strong chlorine smell, that’s not normal and you should have it checked out.
8 Signs Your Water May Be Contaminated